Have you caught the holiday baking bug yet? I always start itching to bake for the holidays once Halloween is over. Today I'm sharing my cut-out cookie and cookie icing recipe, along with a cookie cutter hack! Do these turkeys look familiar? It's because they are made out of my shamrock cookie cutter!
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups unsifted flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- *optional: I love almond extract and always use it in my cookies. If you want to use it, add 1 teaspoon in addition to the vanilla extract.
- Beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients and milk. Stir until smooth. Divide dough in half. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll the chilled dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes.
- Bake at 350 degrees on greased or parchment lined sheets for 10-12 minutes. My favorite liner is this Silpat liner. They should be firm in center and edges just golden.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 lb. bag of confectioner sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons of vanilla (I also add 1 tsp. of almond extract if I use it in the cookies)
- 1-3 tablespoons of heavy cream (add more to get your desired consistency of frosting)
Beat butter 4-5 minutes with whisk attachment. Add sugar and beat 5-6 minutes. Add lemon, extracts and cream until you reach your desired thickness.